“The dust storms of the 1930’s spawned the current conservation movement. Legend has it, dust storms were so vast, dirt from Kansas, Oklahoma and Colorado drifted east and sifted through the doors at the US Capitol in Washington”.
On April 27, 1935, Congress passed and President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Soil Conservation Act of 1935, Public Law #46, which established the Soil Conservation Service (SCS) within the USDA. The new soil and water conservation originated with federal government working, directly with landowners, primarily farmers.
The Sandusky County Soil and Water Conservation District held the first organization meeting on February 20, 1948, at the County Extension Office in Fremont. The Sandusky County Soil and Water Conservation District (SWCD) was established as a legal subdivision of the state government to promote, prosperous and permanent agriculture and improve the environment through sound soil and water conservation practices. To achieve these goals, the District assist individual landowners, community groups, schools, organizations and government agencies on soil and water conservation issues.
The support of the Soil and Water Conservation District is a three way cooperative effort between Local, State and Federal Government. The District receives funding from the Sandusky County Commissioners and the state of Ohio. The Districts is also assisted by the USDA, Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) who employs the District Conservationist in the SWCD office.
The Soil and Water Conservation District is governed by a board of supervisors consisting of five elected members. Sandusky County landowners and land users elect the supervisors. Each board member is elected to a three-year term and is responsible to develop a local program, disburse funds and determine Districts priorities to help carry out a strong soil and water conservation program.